Weight Management for Adolescents with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Thank you for your interest in the Weight Maintenance Study with The University of Kansas - Energy Balance Lab (EBL) and University of Kansas Medical Center - Center for Physical Activity and Weight Management (CPAWM).
We are looking for adolescents (ages 13-21) with intellectual and developmental disabilities, who are currently not participating in a regular exercise program and are interested in starting a nutrition and physical activity program.
This study is an 6 month research program. The first 6 months concentrate on weight loss, followed by an optional 12-month weight maintenance phase.
Individuals in this study will be randomized to one of three groups.
- Group 1 - program will be delivered using a face-to-face delivery and use a conventional diet.
- Group 2 - program will be delivered using an IPAD (provided by us), and use the conventional diet.
- Group 3 -program will be delivered using IPAD (provided by us), and use a stop light diet, with portion-controlled meals (provided by us).
In addition, all groups are encouraged to exercise and participants and parents will attend 30-45 min individual sessions with a health educator, twice per month.
- Be 13 - 21 years of age
- Have a diagnosis of an intellectual and developmental disability (ex; autism; down syndrome)
- Live at home with a parent
- Have Internet access in the home
Need More Information?
Please feel free to contact our staff if you have any additional questions.
Andrew Collie, Coordinator