MOBILITY IMPAIRED GET HEALTHY TOGETHER (MIGHTY)
We are looking for adults (ages 18+) with mobility related disabilities who are not currently participating in a regular exercise program and are interested in starting a weight loss and physical activity program.
This study is an 18-month study. The first 6-months concentrate on weight loss and the next 12-months are a weight maintenance phase.
Individuals in this study will be randomized to one of two groups. Both groups will use a stop light diet, enhanced with portion-controlled meals, and will be prescribed a program of increased moderate intensity physical activity. Everyone will receive necessary technology to participate in the study.
- Group 1 (at-home) will have the intervention delivered during individual at-home visit by study staff.
The at-home group will have a health educator visit them twice a month for the first 12-months, then once a month for the last 6-months. They will also receive weekly phone calls and text messages to remind them to write down their diet and completed physical activity.
- Group 2 (remote) will have the intervention delivered remotely in a group setting from home.
The remote group will participate through video conferencing. Self-monitoring for both diet and physical activity will be completed using web-based applications. This group will participate in education sessions twice a month for the first 12-months, then once a month for the last 6-months. They will also attend video physical activity classes 2 times a week for the first 6 months, then once a week for the next 12-months.
- A permanent mobility related disability
- 18+ years of age
- Have a BMI greater than 25kg/m2 (determined at official screening by our staff)
- Have internet access in the home
- Be committed to an 18-month study
- Reside within 50 miles of Kansas City Metro or Lawrence, KS
Need More Information?
Please feel free to contact our staff if you have any additional questions.
Trish Smith, Coordinator